Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana 2019: Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) is a centrally sponsored scheme, it was introduced in 2000 by the prime minister of India Late Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
The PMGSY is come under the authority of the Ministry of Rural Development and was started on 25 December 2000.
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana 2019
Reason Behind implementing PMGSY:
- Rural road connection is the major in almost every village so that villagers don’t get the proper all-weather road facility.
- The agricultural facility is also one of the main issues of villagers.
- To overcome poverty reduction as well as employability issue.
Funding and allocation:
Out of the total budget of the PMGSY scheme, 80% is allocated for the road length required for providing connectivity to Unconnected occupancy and that of 20% on the basis of road length requiring Upgradation.
In addition, a special allocation of up to 5% of the annual allocation from the Rural Roads share will be made for:
- Districts sharing borders with Pakistan and China, accordance with the ministry of home affairs.
- Districts sharing borders with Myanmar, Bangladesh, and Nepal.
- Naxalites areas in the Districts come under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- Extremely backward Districts which are considered as Special Problem Areas.
- Research & Development Projects and innovations.
Principles of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana:
- To provide good road connectivity to unconnected Habitations.
- To increase the green cover near the roads. This can be done by the planting of tree saplings, including the planting of fruit-bearing tree saplings.
- To connect in hill states, tribal and desert area villages with a population of just 250 persons.
- All roads which provided under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) must have an all-weather road.
- Progress Done under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (as per budget 2019-2020):
- The construction of rural roads very large and also 2.5 crore rural households were electrified.
- Government has provided 10 percent reservation for economically weaker sections, which will create 2 lakh seats in educational institutions alone.
- 143 crore LED bulbs were made available for lower and middle-class families.
- 1.53 crore houses were constructed during 2014-18 under PMGSY.
This is a new thing introduced in PMGSY which mainly contributing tree planting simultaneously with the road construction.
The green cover concept mainly used to global warming.
Sub scheme under PMGSY:
Mukhya Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana run by various state governments are the schemes that compliment PMGSY. States under this scheme Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, etc.
The state government which comes under Mukhya Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana take up the
development of rural roads that are not covered by PMGSY scheme.
The main agenda behind introducing Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana scheme is to connect rural areas with the city through all-weather roads.
Connecting people with the cities not only contribute to village development but it indirectly increases the country’s economy.
Still, many more new schemes are in making progress to improve the rural road connectivity. (Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana 2019)