Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya 2020: Weaker sections in India such as scheduled castes/tribes, families below the poverty line, and other backward classes aren’t aware of the opportunities that are available to them.
They are the ones who suffer when it comes to jobs and education. There are millions of such people who are deprived of working in major companies and studying in the top colleges just due to their background which is why the government of India has come up with various initiatives that target to help such sections of the society.
Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya Review 2020
- Girls in India, especially the ones who belong to the minor communities, are also deprived of their basic rights due to traditions and cultures.
- Also, due to poverty, they are not able to avail proper education. Due to this, the Indian Government designed a scheme, specifically for girls where the target was to provide educational facilities to girls of the minority community.
- Later on, it was changed to Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan which included people from poor families as a part of this scheme apart from girls. The school that is meant for the education of girls is known as Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya.
- This is an all-girls residential school that provides free education to girls from the minority community and other backward classes.
The eligibility for Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya involves:
1. The concentration of tribal population, with low female literacy and/or a large number of girls out of school;
2. The concentration of SC, OBC and minority populations, with low female literacy and/or a large number of girls out of school;
3. Areas with low female literacy; or
4. Areas with a large number of small, scattered habitations that do not qualify for a school
- The reservation is for 75 percent of the seats for girls belonging to SC, ST communities and priority or the remaining 25 percent, is accorded to girls from families below the poverty line.
- Some of the states don’t fall under the category of EBB such as UTs of Andaman & Nicobar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Daman & Diu, Goa, Kerala, Lakshadweep, Puducherry, and Sikkim which is why they cannot avail the benefits of this scheme.
- It is really important that every person in every country has the right to education which isn’t expensive and is quality education.
- It is necessary for the development of a country that their youth knows the current news and is updated with all that is happening across the globe and fir this, literacy is mandatory.
Also, to provide equal opportunities for all, every person has to be qualified and possess skills. In order for this to happen, every opportunity that the government can provide, should be provided and availed by everyone who cannot afford education. (Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya 2020)